For 2014, a new category in my top 10 book lists: Poetry! I seem to be reading more and more poetry each year, which is a trend that I enjoy, but I also don’t think I have the slightest idea how to write about poetry. So, here’s my top 10 for the year, sans review.
1. Every Riven Thing, by Christian Wiman
2: Some Ether, Nick Flynn
3: The Shadow of Sirius, W.S. Merwin
4: Once in the West: Poems, Christian Wiman
5: Collected Poems, Philip Larkin
6: Actual Air, David Berman
7: Astonishments, Anna Kamieńska
8: Stay, Illusion, Lucie Brock-Broido
9: Incarnadine: Poems, Mary Szybist
10: Against Which, Ross Gay
- Delights and Shadows, Ted Kooser
- Faithful and Virtuous Night, Louise Glück
- The Wingless, Cecilia Llompart
- Metaphysical Dog, Frank Bidart
What books of poetry did you enjoy this year?
Coming up next: Top 10 books of nonfiction and fiction I read in 2014.