On the morning of my wedding, I was lying in the hotel bed that I had shared the night before with my mother. Mom was getting ready in the bathroom. But I was still in bed, very absorbed in an episode of America’s Next Top Model. I have always been drawn by the novelty of freely accessible cable TV, a luxury perpetually unknown to me. After 15 minutes of inactivity, Mom looked at me and said, “Um, are you going to get out of bed and get married? Or just stay here and watch Tyra?”
While I’m thinking about it, here are some things that make me mad:
- Unpaid internships. (Why is this not ILLEGAL?)
- The idiotic, positively correlated relationship between poverty and obesity in this country.
- Dogs who live their entire lives outdoors on chains.
- 90 percent of all Craigslist posts. (“Depressed about American education” is also a common emotion.)
- Parents who abandon their children.
- Strip clubs.
- Churches who just want you to follow the rules and tell other people to do the same.
- Diet Coke.
- People who think Atlas Shrugged is the greatest book ever.
- Reality TV shows, unless they involve dogs. Or Tyra Banks.
- Conspiracy theorists with penchants for e-mail forwards.
- Men who whistle/cat call at women.
(And yes, I know, this blog is just turning into a series of dumb lists. But you know what? I’m OK with it.)